Be updated, subscribe to the OpenKM news
Remote handwritten signature
Written by Ana Canteli on September 04, 2023
What is a remote handwritten signature?
The handwritten remote signature is a process by which a person can sign a document by hand, but does it electronically and remotely instead of doing it personally on paper. This is done through technological devices such as graphics tablets, digital pens, or even mobile devices with touch screens.
Handwritten remote signature process generally involves the following:
- 1. Creation of the digital signature: The person creates a digital signature using an electronic device, where the signature is captured and converted into a digital file.
- 2. Linking to the document: The digital signature is associated with the document using a specialized handwritten remote signature software that allows the signature to be superposed in the appropriate place into the document.
- 3. Identity verification: To ensure the authenticity of the signature, security measures can be implemented, such as authentication of the identity of the person signing using passwords, fingerprints, or two-factor authentication.
- 4. Storage and registration: The document signed with the handwritten remote signature is stored securely in an electronic document management system, installed on its own server or in cloud storage services.
- 5. Legal compliance: In many countries, the handwritten remote signature is legally valid and admissible in court, when specific authentication and security requirements are met.
This handwritten remote signature approach can offer significant benefits in terms of efficiency and convenience, as it eliminates the need to print, manually sign and scan paper documents. However, adhering to the relevant legal regulations and standards in your jurisdiction is essential before using this signature method in legal or business situations. This article will describe the features and advantages of the handwritten remote signature in OpenKM document management software.
How to use remote handwritten signature
The remote handwritten signature is used through a series of steps involving digital technologies to capture and record a handwritten signature electronically.
- Document Preparation: The first step is to prepare the document that requires a signature. In OpenKM, we select a PDF document or other compatible electronic format.
- Identity authentication: Before allowing someone to sign a document remotely, it is important to verify the signer's identity. This may involve extra security measures to access the list of signatory users.
- Use of the handwritten remote signature tool: OpenKM uses an electronic signature tool specialized in handwritten remote signatures. These tools provide an interface where the digital document is uploaded.
- Signature creation: The person signing must use a suitable device, such as a graphics tablet or smartphone, to create their handwritten signature on the tool's interface. The signature is digitally captured and can be adjusted to look like a paper signature.
- Signature placement: The OpenKM handwritten remote signature application places the digital signature on the document in the designated place.
- Review and confirmation: The user can correct the stroke inserted through the device. If you agree, insert the signature, and you will have the opportunity to view the signed version of the document.
- Save and send: The OpenKM handwritten remote signature tool automatically saves the signed document in the document management system and current the file history.
- Secure storage: OpenKM provides the right environment to store the signed document securely and comply with the records retention regulations applicable in your jurisdiction.
OpenKM is 100% parameterizable, so the necessary adaptations can be made to comply with local laws and regulations and ensure that the handwritten remote signature complies with the necessary security and authentication standards.
Benefits of a remote handwritten signature
The handwritten remote signature offers many benefits for both individuals and businesses. These advantages include:
- Greater convenience: OpenKM's remote handwritten signature eliminates the need to print, manually sign, and scan paper documents, saving time and resources.
- Cost savings: Reduces expenses related to paper, ink, postal delivery, and physical storage of signed documents.
- Greater process speed: Documents can be signed and processed in OpenKM quickly, streamlining workflows and shortening delivery times.
- Anywhere access: Allows people to sign documents from any location with internet access, which is especially useful in situations where signers are in different locations.
- Error reduction: The use of remote handwritten signatures in OpenKM minimizes the possibility of errors related to the attribution of signatures or loss of physical documents.
- Enhanced security and authentication: OpenKM's handwritten remote signature solution uses advanced security measures, such as security pin authentication, to ensure the integrity and authenticity of electronic signatures.
- Facilitates regulatory compliance: OpenKM's handwritten remote signature complies with legal requirements and e-signature regulations in many jurisdictions, facilitating regulatory compliance.
- Improves the ecological footprint: Reducing paper use and the need for physical document transportation contributes to environmental sustainability.
- Audit history: OpenKM's handwritten remote signature application records signing activities, making it easy to audit and track who signed the document and when.
- Greater flexibility and scalability: It can adapt to various needs and entity sizes, from small businesses to large corporations.
- Reduced dependency on the physical workplace: Using OpenKM's handwritten remote signature application facilitates remote working and online collaboration, as documents can be signed and shared efficiently without the need to be physically in the office.
In summary, OpenKM remote handwritten signature offers an efficient and versatile solution for signing documents, improving the efficiency of business processes and reducing the costs associated with paper documents.
Handwritten remote signature in electronic document management
The handwritten remote signature plays a fundamental role in electronic document management by remotely facilitating the digital signature of documents. Here, we explain how the remote signature is integrated into electronic document management and what its essential role is:
- 1. Document digitization: In electronic document management, the first step is usually the digitization of paper documents, or the creation of documents directly in digital format. Once the documents are in electronic format, it is possible to use remote signing.
- 2. Creation and editing of electronic documents: OpenKM allows you to create, edit, and organize electronic documents efficiently. Remote signing is integrated into this process, allowing users to electronically sign the documents they create or edit.
- 3. Document submission and approval: In many business workflows, documents must be sent to other people or departments for review and approval. OpenKM's remote handwritten signature allows documents to be digitally signed by those responsible for approving them, even if they are in different geographical locations.
- 4. Legal compliance: In many jurisdictions, the handwritten remote signature complies with legal regulations and regulations related to electronic signatures. This is essential to ensure that electronic documents are legally valid and can be used in legal or commercial proceedings.
- 5. Secure storage: Remotely signed electronic documents are stored securely in OpenKM, both in its on-premise version and in OpenKM Cloud. The electronic signature provides an additional level of security to the document since it records who signed, when they did it, and even from what device.
- 6. Auditing and tracking: OpenKM's remote handwritten signature also makes it easy to track and audit electronic documents. Signature records allow detailed tracking of document-related activities, which helps verify the authenticity and compliance of processes.
- 7. Workflow automation: Integrating remote signatures into electronic document management can lead to workflow automation. For example, once a document is electronically signed, it can automatically trigger the next stage of the process, such as storage, shipping, or approval.
The remote signature plays an essential role in electronic document management by allowing the signing of documents securely and efficiently in a digital environment. This not only improves productivity and efficiency in document management, but also facilitates compliance with regulations and provides a higher level of security and tracking in document processes.
Things to consider when using remote handwritten signature
Despite its numerous advantages, the handwritten remote signature also has some disadvantages that should be taken into account:
- Technology requirements: To use remote handwritten signatures, you need access to electronic devices such as graphics tablets, digital pens, or mobile devices with touch screens. This may not be available to all users or signatories, limiting its applicability.
- Internet connection: Handwritten remote signature requires a stable Internet connection to work properly. If the connection is slow or drops, there could be delays or problems in the signing process.
- Security: Although handwritten remote signature solutions are usually secure, there are potential risks of phishing or fraud if proper authentication and security measures are not implemented.
- Limited acceptance: Although handwritten remote signature is legal in many jurisdictions, there may still be situations where the parties involved prefer paper signatures or have doubts about the legal validity of electronic signatures. For these cases, OpenKM has scanning and digital signature applications.
- Education and training: Users may need training to use remote handwritten signature tools properly and understand the associated security measures. OpenKM offers specialized courses on the OpenKM Academy online training platform to facilitate training.
- Dependency on service providers: Handwritten remote signature solutions often rely on external service providers or platforms, which can raise concerns about long-term service availability and continuity. That is why OpenKM offers in its Professional version the acquisition of the software in perpetuity.
- Privacy issues: Handwritten remote signature often involves transferring and storing personal data and documents online, which raises privacy concerns if not handled properly. To mitigate these risks, OpenKM offers all legal and procedural guarantees regarding the protection of personal data.
- Resistance to change: Some people may resist change and prefer traditional paper signature methods, making adopting handwritten remote signatures in certain environments challenging. Again, the friendly introduction of this new technology to potential stakeholders through OpenKM Academy can improve the degree of acceptance of the handwritten remote signature.
Incorporating the handwritten remote signature function into OpenKM's document management software can significantly improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization's electronic document management efficiency and effectiveness while reducing the costs and environmental impact associated with paper documents. These benefits make remote handwritten signatures valuable for companies and organizations looking to optimize their document management processes.